[haiku-development] Re: Practical questions from a new developer

  • From: Wim van der Meer <wpjvandermeer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 18:25:38 +0900

Hi Stephan,

> I think it is a micro kernel when drivers and other add-ons to the kernel
> run in their own address space (and all communication happens via IPC). In
> Haiku, drivers run in the kernel address space, so it would be a classical
> modular kernel. :-) Hope you will stay with us nevertheless, but you were
> bound to find out at some point. :-}

I am not a kernel programmer, but I do understand that with a pure micro
kernel it is hard to deal with performance issues. I hope that the kernel
programmers of Haiku try to keep the kernel as small as possible without
sacrificing performance.

>  > - When should I add my name to the authors list in a source file? Is
> that
> > allowed even if I make only slight changes?
>
> It depends a bit on your gut feeling. If you make coding style cleanups and
> there is no brain work involved, then I wouldn't think it justifies adding
> yourself to the copyright section. If you spend about three hours to dive
> into a codebase to track down some weird bug and it ends up being a one
> line
> change, then I think it deserves a mention in the copyright section anyway.
> Your changes to DeskCalc definitely deserved an addition to the copyright
> section. I thought about doing this myself, but something was changed in
> our
> Trac installations, and Admins (at least not me) cannot look up Trac
> accounts for the full name anymore. I did look up "Wim" on the
> haiku-os.org
> account, but it was only registered for five days and I wasn't sure it was
> you. :-) And then of course I forgot about it and commited the patch
> without
> adding you to the copyright section. We can fix that, if it's indeed you
> who
> submitted the DeskCalc patch.

Yeah, that was me, but there is no need to add my name. I consider this
patch as a try-out, I was not even sure if it would be accepted.

>  > - If I want to keep the copyright of the changes I make, Is a copyright
> > notice in at the top sufficient, or should I also explicitly mark the
> > changes I make?
>
> No, we don't do that. We would like to rely on the SVN history for this.
> Too
> much clutter in the code otherwise, and it's also very likely that someone
> will change the exact lines you marked as yours... it would get messy
> quickly.

I understand that, but without commit access my patches are committed by
someone else, so my name is only in the comment, if the committer doesn't
forget to add it. But anyway, it is not *that* important, I just wanted to
make sure.

Thank you for your answers.

--
Wim van der Meer