[haiku-development] Practical questions from a new developer

  • From: Wim van der Meer <wpjvandermeer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 10:18:49 +0900

Hi,

I am a cross platform C++ applications developer interested in helping out
with improving the Haiku applications, and possibly the Application and
Interface kits. This week I have submitted my first patch. I still need to
learn a lot since I have no previous experience with Haiku or BeOS, but the
idea of a fast desktop oriented OS based on a (hybrid) micro-kernel sounds
very appealing.

For now I have some practical questions:

- When should I add my name to the authors list in a source file? Is that
allowed even if I make only slight changes?
- If I want to keep the copyright of the changes I make, Is a copyright
notice in at the top sufficient, or should I also explicitly mark the
changes I make?
- What is the policy for updating the application version number? Should I
leave that up to the developer who commits the patch?
- Should every application have its own version number that is shown in a
about window?
- What is the policy of adding my name to the about window of an
application?

I am sorry if these questions have been asked before, but the answers where
not clear to me from reading the information on the web-site.

--
\/\///\/\