[haiku-development] Re: Attempts at #5481

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 15:09:29 +0000

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 14:23, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> On 2010-04-23 at 15:11:49 [+0200], Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> While feeling sort of proud at the whopping commit of r36419, I wanted
>> to try #5481 -- providing a mechanism for the user to opt-in on which
>> source archives to install (eg from the CD).

> I've looked over the patch, but I don't like duplicate functionality. Why
> not simply display the source archive packages along software packages?

When implementing the build system aspect, Ingo commented "The source
archives shouldn't be treated as packages when installing from CD.
Wouldn't work anyway, if they aren't zip files."
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5110#comment:1 I'm guessing the intent
is for the source archives to be copied over, as opposed to be
extracted onto the destination volume.

With my outstanding C/C++ abilities (cough, ha!), duplicating it was
barely manageable :)
I totally agree that is isn't elegant in any fashion and I certainly
didn't have intentions to commit it w/o review.

> Forgot to mention that you should be able to create a _packages_ folder in
> the root of your Haiku boot volume to test the functionality. Actually it
> should work with any other volume, too, when you select it as source volume.

I think it's not working properly. Though EBKAC is an option too.
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/5785

Cheers