[haiku-development] Re: OpenGL System hpkg's

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 14:10:01 +0200

On 10/01/2013 05:29 AM, Alexander von Gluck wrote:
On Tue, 2013-10-01 at 04:59 +0200, Ingo Weinhold wrote:
I'm not so much interested in what is considered the OpenGL kit or how
the libraries or the packages are called. What I am concerned with is
that ATM we have three separate sets of code (Mesa, GLU, and the code in
the Haiku repository) which seem to cyclically depend on each other.

I really don't see how they are cyclical.  (besides the linking libGLU
into libGL mess, that was Be's fault though and we can't change it
unless we break BeOS compat)

Yes, we can change that.

libGL.so depends on Haiku API wrappers and Mesa dispatch code

No. Currently libGL.so simply contains both. I don't know how the wrappers and the Mesa dispatch code interdepend. What I see is that the wrappers use internal Mesa headers. So obviously we are doing something that does not agree with Mesa's design.

[...]
So my question is: how can we reorganize things in a clean way? Note
that we are not bound by how they were organized in BeOS. We can freely
break up and shuffle code and libraries, as long as we keep a symlink
/system/lib/libGL.so in our GCC 2 build that points to a library that --
directly or indirectly -- provides all the required symbols.

I've been moving as much code rendering code into Mesa as I can, however
we *have* to wrap calls at a lower level as openGL initialization isn't
a universal process per platform and Be's api differs from Linux,
Windows, and OS X (which also all differ)

On Linux building Mesa results in a complete "OpenGL kit", including a libGL. Why is that not possible on Haiku? Why do we have to drag Mesa code and internal headers into Haiku's build?

On 10/01/2013 05:58 AM, Alexander von Gluck wrote:
> Why don't we just make mesa_bootstrap?

Fortunately that has not been necessary yet, since nothing really needs the OpenGL kit.

CU, Ingo

PS: You really don't have to CC me your replies.