[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps and Command key

  • From: Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:44:05 +0200

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Alexandre Deckner <alex@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi! I've noticed that with my keymap (french), the right command key and right option key are switched compared to the us keymap (japanese and uk too).
I've got RCommand = 0x60 and ROption = 0x5f.
Almost all keymaps are like this.

IIRC most keymaps came from a public domain pool - maybe that one was just so old that BeOS did not have the feature to switch the keys.

The problem is that the check in menu preflet fails (since those values are hardcoded there too) and says i'm in Ctrl mode although i'm in Alt mode. Selecting Alt again rewrites these hardcoded values so that following runs are fine.
See src/data/etc/keymaps and src/preferences/menu/MenuSettings.cpp

Is there any reason behind this variation?

I doubt that there is any particular reason other than trying to change the defaults (ie. switch control/alt for the user). I would just fix all those keymaps; if you don't want to do this, opening a bug report would be a solution for now :-)
Ok, i'm ready to commit. The faulty keymaps had the left side in "Alt mode" and the right side in "Ctrl mode". I fixed them to be in "Alt mode" by default and it now behaves like in R5 (max4.1).

However, i'm now wondering if the best default wouldn't be the Ctrl mode. What do you think? How many are still using Alt-C Alt-V for copy paste? :-)

Regards,
Alex