[haiku-development] Re: Keymaps and Command key

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:54:22 -0600

> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:05 PM, Ari Haviv <arielbhaviv@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Another point: BeOS was intended to coexist with Windows, not replace
> > it. "Use BeOS for media and windows for everything else."  If you have
> > to dual boot most of the time (or use wine) then alt c here and
> > control c there would be a major inconsistency.
>
> But not everybody is in that situation nor cares. We have the option
> to flip it to control if you desire it anyways. If everything we do
> has to be done so as to appease everybody coming from other systems
> then we may as well give up now.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rene

Sorry, have not read the whole thread but wanted to quickly say that.  BeOS
began on Macintosh and I am very sure they use ALT for shortcuts.  I would say
this is why ALT key carried over to x86.  Not because BeOS intended to be
different.  Had BeOS started with x86 then maybe they would have used CTRL
instead?

I do not mind using ALT key for shortcuts but it does get confusing when
switching back and forth with Linux/Windows and BeOS/Haiku because I have to be
careful which I hit, ALT or CTRL.

Though I do not have a particular preference for either one.  It would be nice
to use CTRL so that it was the same with other x86 OSes - to make life a little
simpler, but if Haiku ends up staying with ALT key then I can live with that
too.  And hopefully new users can get used to it too.

-> Nick

If you like crossword puzzles, then you'll love Flexicon, a game which combines
four overlapping crossword puzzles into one!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/208