[haiku-development] Re: Is it time to talk about R1/A3 ?

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 22:39:49 +0200

Hi Philip,

Am 11.10.2010 22:21, schrieb philip taylor:
On 11 October 2010 21:09, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx
[...]
        * Usual bugfixes (that doesn't count)
        * POSIX Locale + some improvements on native Locale API (still WIP)
        * API-Stable Layout system (not sure it is ABI-Stable yet)
        * BNotification / infopopper (WIP)
        * ext3 (experimental)
        * stack and tile (no API yet)
        * some network improvements I don't know enough about to talk

    This list is quite agreeable. But I don't agree that we don't have a
    roadmap for R1. It's pretty clear actually: Implement package
    management as discussed and finish the localization effort. And get
    the more annoying bugs fixed. Localization support is at least
    progressing, but as long as no one gets their hands dirty on package
    management, we can't push out even the first beta.

Even more annoying are bugs like #3933 , which weren't present with the
previous ide stack, but have occurred since the change to the present
ata stack, this potentially means non booting on alot of very common
machines.

I don't see what this adds to the dicussion. The need to fix bugs was already mentioned. Bugs which prevent booting on many devices are of course more important, which is probably why this specific ticket has status "critical". Unfortunately, there are only so many Haiku developers who can do anything about it.

Best regards,
-Stephan