[haiku-development] Re: Is it time to talk about R1/A3 ?

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2010 00:37:14 +0000

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 18:32, Niels Reedijk <niels.reedijk@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would argue that it is time to start thinking about R1.
>
> It has been long enough of a wait: many components are
> production-ready. IMO we should now start defining the requirements
> for the beta stage and the final release stage, and (this will make me
> impopular) stimulate everyone (perhaps with some financial help from
> Haiku Inc.) to work towards implementing those features.

Talking about R1 is good too ...

wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures has some of the likely features for R1. This
was discussed leading up to R1/A2, but never set in stone. This page
could use some updating too. [1]

We could nail down which items will definitely delay releasing R1 (Final)
  - roughly guesstimate how long each of those will take (eg, is it a
matter of hours, days, weeks, months?)
  - identify people who could work on them (eg, have the knowledge or
capable of learning it fairly quickly)
  - identify which tasks do not have anyone who could work on them
  - identify people who would be willing and able to work as a contractor

Then based on that, one or more Kickstarter projects could be organized.
It may be better to list them individually, as it'll keep more
manageable -- smaller goal-to-raise & hopefully a quicker turn-out. [2]

The $3,500 coming from our participation in Google Summer of Code
2010, could be used to help jumpstart the funding.
(note: personal idea)

(As a quick explanation, Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing style
fundraiser tool. We specify a target monetary goal. People pledge
money. If enough pledges are made in a certain time frame, then those
pledges become actual monetary transactions.  If that time frame
expires, then no money is taken from the donors. This will allow us to
aim really, really big *and* to provide donors full confidence and
reassurance in making a pledge of financial support.)

-------

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 20:13, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I would propose that the Coding Sprint
> before BeGeistert focusses on bug fixes, and that we release Alpha 3 at
> BeGeistert.

Eh, one of the more common regrets(for lack of a better word) about
R1/A2 was that
it had a rushed feeling and not enough attention was given to QA. So,
I'm not convinced
that trying to fit the whole release cycle in 2 weeks (now till BG023)
would be an improvement.

On a side note, when creating wiki/R1/ReleaseRoadMap, I probably just
stuffed those features into R1/A3 as wishful thinking (along with a
certainty that it wouldn't be in R1/A2)[3]

--mmadia

1: http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/FutureHaikuFeatures
2: //www.freelists.org/post/haiku-inc/New-Donation-Tool-Kickstartercom,4
3: http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/ReleaseRoadMap