[haiku-development] Re: Is Intel 810 Video Driver Needed?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 13:03:15 -0700

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Gerald Zajac<zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension L800CXE which has an Intel 810 video chip on the
> motherboard.
> The intel_extreme video driver does not support the 810 chips.  Also, the
> Vesa video driver will not handle this chip since it does not appear to have
> any compatible VESA graphics.  In the syslog immediately after the VESA
> modes are listed, a line stating "No VESA compatible graphics!" is listed.
>
> Thus, I'm considering implementing a video driver to support the Intel 810
> and 815 chips.  However, I'm wondering if there are a sufficient number of
> computers that still use these chips to make the effort worthwhile.  If
> these chips are rather rare these days (they are about 8-10 years old), it
> might not be worth the effort to implement a driver to support them.  Do you
> have any opinion on this matter?

I think I have probably 3 different machines that would benefit from
this. I've been putting separate video cards in them in order to test
Haiku properly. I think sometimes the VESA works on one of them, but
not during the boot screen (showing just a funny 16-colored block
across the top)... It seems it used to work in the past, perhaps prior
to the new bootscreen images.

I can't say that I'd necessarily benefit from this, but it seems there
are still a reasonable number of Pentium II/III grade machines out
there that are using this onboard chipset.

- Urias