[haiku-development] Re: Is Intel 810 Video Driver Needed?

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Aug 2009 08:02:43 -0700

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM, Axel Dörfler<axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Let me rephrase my earlier message. I think it allowed an earlier
>> version of VESA before but there were too many misbehaving cards
>> which
>> lead to a lot of garbled monitors.
>> If that was the case, and what stopped i810 working, maybe cards
>> known
>> to work but isn't 2.0 could be allowed as exceptions.
>
> AFAIK we restricted the loader to VBE2 from the beginning on. I just
> can't remember the specific reasons for this anymore - flat buffer
> would be a good one, though :-)

Well, I do know for a fact that this laptop seen running here in "safe mode":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/umccullough/378472590/in/set-72157615324866653/

no longer displays properly. I tried it a couple months ago and "safe
mode" is scrambled now (looks like a video memory alignment issue).

I believe it's an ancient mid-90's Cirrus Logic chip running on a
640x480 resolution LCD. I also hooked it to an external display which
did no better. I didn't really make a big deal out of it because
clearly it's ... old.

But it does mean *something* has changed in the VESA support over the years :)

If you want, I can provide a serial log from that device...but it
might not be soon. I'll also pull out my i810-based machines and see
what I can find.

- Urias