[haiku-development] Re: I'm interested in developing a project for Haiku

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 22:44:16 -0500

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Michael Crawford <mdcrawford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Note that one is permitted to use a mark that someone else owns,
> provided that the two marks don't conflict.  I'm no IP attorney, so I
> won't pretend to explain just when one can use someone else's mark,
> but I will point out that the Supreme Court of Canada held that one
> can call any business "McDonalds" provided it doesn't sell hamburgers.

Yes in general trademarks are given per industry. If there is no
software or software company called Timeline it would probably be an
acceptable name. Use it, don't use it, I was just suggesting it.

But just because Crichton used it for a book title and it was made
into a movie (by the way the book was good, the movie not so much)
that doesn't mean no one else can use that to name something ever
again. Plus it is just a word. And in fact I'm not so sure that book
titles or movie titles can be trademarked anyhow. At least I've seen
different books with the same title before. And how many movies called
King Kong have been made?

As another fun example there was a Clint Eastwood movie called Firefox
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox_(film)) long before the browser
got that name (of course there were two other names they used first
which were indeed trademarked, Phoenix and then Firebird.)

Anyhow, this is getting pretty off-topic, so to get back on-topic:

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:52 PM, Alexey Burshtein
<aburst02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This can cause misunderstanding, since I'm sure there will be users who
> think schedule_server or scheduled_task_server is the actual kernel thread
> short-term scheduler. Then they'll kill it and wonder why the system still
> runs. Besides, in my opinion, only system tasks should be called "_server",
> the others should be called "daemons" or somehow else, to distinguish
> between system-critical software and 3rd party applications - and while this
> Organizer is not a part of Haiku, it is considered 3-rd party and will be
> named accordingly.

Well we already have the mail_daemon in the system, so your naming
scheme really doesn't work ;)

And I at least would like the EventDaemon, schedule_server or whatever
it is called to become part of Haiku, even if the rest of the
organizer itself isn't (though I imagine it too would be integrated if
it is nice.) On that note please make the task scheduler fairly
generic so it can be used for other things besides reminders for the
PIM. Like checking for software updates once Haiku has an update
system, or other such things. While that might be slightly out of the
scope of your work, creating something that generically benefits the
rest of the system is an important part of software engineering.

> There are many projects to borrow from, both for BeOS and for other OS. For
> example, the minimal time quantum of 5 mins (mentioned in User Story) is
> borrowed from alarm clock and organizer supplied with PalmOS 5.2. It was
> more then enough for me during all 3 years I was using Palm Zire, and I
> guess no-one actually needs finer accuracy.

Yeah I think that is fine and it should keep the EventDaemon
lightweight on the system since it would just need to wake up every 5
minutes to see if any tasks need to be run or reminders sent.

> Networking features are currently out of scope. They'll be considered again
> if we have time at the end of the project. However, we had some interesting
> thoughts regarding integration into other Haiku programs; more specifically,
> "People". :)

Yes that would be nice. Integration with the system is very important.

> Thank you very much. I would appreciate if you'd lift some of this burden
> from Michael's shoulders.

Well I really can't promise much but I'll try to give input now and
again. I had thoughts of creating a PIM back in the BeOS days (with
the obvious name of BeOrganized), but I never really got past the
brainstorming phase.

--
Regards,
Ryan