[haiku-development] I'm interested in developing a project for Haiku

  • From: Alexey Burshtein <aburst02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 07:51:38 +0200

Hello,

Since I'm not sure to whom I should address this message, I'm sending it to the
general Haiku OS development list, in hope it will find its way to the relevant
people :)

The university I'm studying at requires the students to perform a real-life
research & development project. This year, for the first time, open-source
projects are also allowed. Since I'm an old member of the BeOS / Haiku
community, I immediately decided to go for Haiku as the first option for the
project, and I've convinced my partner to go for Haiku also (projects are
performed in couples).

The university's rules declare the project as a yearly course, to be submitted
until 14.09.10 (but it can be completed earlier, I'd very like to do so), and
the amount of work for each student is weighed around 300 working hours, making
it 600 hours per project (since every project is performed by 2 students). This
is a tremendous amount of time, and I hope me and my partner can do something
that all Haiku community will benefit from. The subject for the project can be
anything fitting in 600 hours of design, planning, development and testing.

A few words about myself: I've applied for the last year GSoC, here is the link
to my interview
(http://joomla.iscomputeron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1118&Itemid=1)
 following GSoC application. In short, I have a working experience of 6.5 years
in IBM Research & Development Labs in Haifa, about 9 years of user and 7 years
of programmer experience with BeOS / Haiku, and I'm now working for, well,
Microsoft Israel Development Center. I also named my cats after BeOS flavours
:) This is just to assure you that I know coding and I'm familiar with BeOS /
Haiku way :) I'm not sure about the experience of my partner, but it's not her
first year in the university either, thus she must've learned something in the
previous years :)

If the Haiku OS development community is interested in my proposal, I'll send a
document describing the academic project organization details thoroughly. (This
document is now reviewed by the projects' coordinator). The project will
require a mentor whose task is to define the project's requirements and goals
and accept it in the end, but, AFAIK, this process was well-polished in the
GSoC sessions, and you guys know what it means. The subject for the project is
mentor's choice, and shall be discussed after the principal agreement is set. I
personally would like to finish the Calendar / Organizer application proposed
here
(http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2009/hitech/t123870968538),
 but this is up to the mentor, and if community decides that these 600 hours
would do more effect in anything else, so be it.

Any questions or replies should be directed to me.
Any organizational questions can be also directed to the project's coordinator
(Haifa University staff member Hananel Hazan
(http://cs.haifa.ac.il/~hhazan01)). He is the one who'll receive monthly
progress reports.

Thanks,
Alexey Burshtein,
Department of Computer Science, University of Haifa.
“I can think of no considerable reason why an individual shall wish to have
a computer in his own home”.
Kenneth Olsen, Pres. of “Digital Equipments Corp.”, 1977.