[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: "Jonas Sundström" <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2011 14:36:15 +0200

Anshul Singhle <xashck@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >You need imap-fs to support saving this attribute on the message,
> >so you need (semi-)write-support.
>
> According to the original plan, it already does.
> It will save mail as files with header information as attributes

Which component creates the files and when?

> For more details please also have a look at my GSoC proposal:
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/ana28192/5001
> Implementation : The filesystem will use the already existing
> mail daemon as a backend for communicating with the IMAP server.

How this is done is the interesting part.

Does your design include the imap-fs communicating over IMAP,
or does only the mail_daemon do this?

When and how does the imap-fs and the mail_daemon communicate?

> If only the headers have been retrieved, the user will not be
> able to see the mail file.

The main point of IMAP is to be able to see the messages without
having to get them in full. I think the imap-fs should display
both fully and partially received messsages.

(Likewise, the Mail app has to support displaying partial mail in
clear and helpful way.)

> Mail attributes : The headers of a mail will be stored as file
> atttributes linked to the mail file. A small script will be created
> which will allow querying of these parameters.
> This will allow users to search mails by header information. This
> could later be extended to the the Tracker UI

No need for a script. Tracker already has the necessary functionality.

> Cacheing policy : The cacheing policy would be fully configurable.
> The following configuration options would be provided -
> Automatically retrieve mails : The FS will automatically update itself
> with the user's IMAP account. If this is set to off, the mails will
> be
> cached as they are retrieved.

This appears the wrong way around, to me.

Updating/synchronizing should be a process in which mails are received,
and where the imap-fs is participating, active rather than reactive.
The filesystem should not update/synchronize with IMAP as a -result of-
mails having been received.

> Dismounting : Dismounting will result in a write to disk. EXPUNGE on
> dismount can be given as an option to the user later.

I assume you don't mean to post-pone this feature? (Seems trivial)

/Jonas