[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: Donn Cave <donn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 09:30:00 -0700 (PDT)

Quoth Anshul Singhle <xashck@xxxxxxxxx>,

> I made a proposal at :
> http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/proposal/review/google/gsoc2011/ana28192/5001
> Please do read it . If you think something is unclear or if I should give
> some more details in some part please do tell me.

Hope it's OK to comment to the list.

If I understand your use of the term "synchronization", you propose
to automatically copy all messages to local cache.  Compare this to
simply copying the messages to BFS, instead of your fileysystem.

Would you support configuration options for caching?  I get hundreds
of messages in an ordinary day, and delete all but a few without
reading them.  Would these messages need to be cached ("synchronized"),
only to be deleted right away?

If caching for the sake of efficiency, we would probably store data
as it's retrieved, rather than retrieving data just to store it.
Starting with headers, which must be retrieved to present newly
received mail to the user, and then with bodies as the user requests
them.  With MIME multipart/mixed messages, the user might want to
retrieve the first part and then decide about the rest, which might
be very large.  Would IMAPFS support this - e.g., some local headers
but the rest remote?  Some MIME parts local, but the rest remote?

Would you expect to support the IMAP SEARCH feature through Haiku query?

Re 1.D - would files mailed to the IMAP server also be retrieved
automatically for the cache?

Re 2.B - do you propose to rewrite messages in place, on the server?
It is not my impression that this is supported, anyway, but just
asking for clarification.  You can modify flags, and of course it's
important to be able to set (and unset) the \Delete flag.  What
would a message/file with \Delete flag look like - invisible?  some
kind of Trash folder?  Is there an EXPUNGE on dismount?

Re 1.D - mailing (SMTP?) the file is somewhat unreliable.  The
message could be delayed, it could bounce for some reason, it could
be forwarded to a destination that you don't anticipate.  That's
awkward if you intend to delete the local copy.  You might consider
IMAP APPEND.

thanks!
        Donn Cave