[haiku-development] Re: [GSoC proposal] IMAP FS - A few queries

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2011 20:27:10 +0200

On Fri, 8 Apr 2011 18:52:32 +0200 Truls Becken <truls.becken@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does Tracker's empty trash action result in individual file
> operations, or are file systems able to see it as a single operation?

Nope, it's individual file removals.

> If not already present, would it be worth adding an empty trash
> function to the FS API?

The FS could delay expunging a mail on the server a little after getting the
request to remove the respective file, so things could be batched. If the FS
implements caching and an offline mode, it has to decouple local file from
network operations anyway, and that should be rather simple to implement.

The more interesting question is whether the trash merging of local volumes and
remote mails is really what one would expect. It essentially means, you can't
make space on your local disk by emptying the trash without at the same time
removing trashed mail from the server and vice versa (without going manually
through the trash, that is). Seems not really related to me.

Moreover, if we ever switch to a modern file system like logfs or btrfs, the
trash becomes superfluous anyway, since one could resurrect deleted files
anyway, as long as the disk space hasn't already been claimed otherwise.

CU, Ingo