[haiku-development] Re: GSoC project

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2010 21:49:00 +0200

Hi,

On 2010-04-06 at 21:00:08 [+0200], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:26:04 +0200, Mathieu PREVEL a écrit :
> > For example the path of the home could be :
> >
> >    /boot/home/login1
> >    /boot/home/login2
>
> /boot/home might likely become the home for the root account... though
> it's not fixed yet.

Personally I would be fine with /boot/home/<username>.

[...]

> The most interesting part will surely be the security part though,
> making sure each part of the OS is only accessible by those allowed,
> and finding ways to keep the current API as much usable as possible
> with non-root account.

That's the thing here. Writing the interfaces is a walk in the park
compared to what needs the be done under the hood to make everything work.
Because of all the breakage to be expected, it is most likely not to be
included into R1 either, which may be a disappointment. Mathieu, since you
focused on writing user interfaces for logging in and configuring users, it
looks like you need to spend a lot more time researching and discussing
this project idea. Don't let this discourage you, though! :-D

Best regards,
-Stephan