[haiku-development] Re: GSoC project

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:48:34 +0200

Am 08.04.2010 um 13:10 schrieb PulkoMandy:

2010/4/8 Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:
For administrative tasks that go beyond sudo'ing some program it is quite handy to be able to log in as root. Besides "sudo bash" is usually allowed
anyway.

That's right for an unix OS. They usually don't let root log in an X
session, and I think we'd want to do the same. But I think this needs
some thinking about which things are root-only and which are allowed
to the user. I'm not sure the unix way is that perfect for a desktop
OS like Haiku. Does multiuser necessarily implies having a root
account ? Is the Windows way (letting one or more users having
"administrator" privileges) better ? how does mac os X handle it ?

Solaris has a concept of assigning certain priviledges to users, too. For instance, DTrace proviledges can be assigned as superuser once and then can be performed as the normal user, without special invocation. For other tasks there's the pfexec(1) command, but no idea where the differences to sudo are (which exists as well).

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/816-5165/pfexec-1?a=view

On Mac OS X you use sudo.

Andreas