[haiku-development] Re: GSoC project

  • From: PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 13:10:28 +0200

2010/4/8 Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>:

> On 2010-04-08 at 11:56:18 [+0200], PulkoMandy <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Hmm you're distorted by Ubuntu, root does exist, I've seen him ! :P
>>
>> I'm using Debian. But still, I'm not sure root should be treated as an
>> user at all, except for handling emergency stuff... Am I missing other
>> cases where you really want to login as root ?
>
> For administrative tasks that go beyond sudo'ing some program it is quite
> handy to be able to log in as root. Besides "sudo bash" is usually allowed
> anyway.

That's right for an unix OS. They usually don't let root log in an X
session, and I think we'd want to do the same. But I think this needs
some thinking about which things are root-only and which are allowed
to the user. I'm not sure the unix way is that perfect for a desktop
OS like Haiku. Does multiuser necessarily implies having a root
account ? Is the Windows way (letting one or more users having
"administrator" privileges) better ? how does mac os X handle it ?

--
Adrien Destugues / PulkoMandy
http://pulkomandy.ath.cx