[haiku-development] Re: GSoC project

  • From: "Joshua Rice" <rice43@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 10:32:50 +0100

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On 2010-04-06 at 21:00:08 [+0200], François Revol <revol@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Le Tue, 6 Apr 2010 20:26:04 +0200, Mathieu PREVEL a écrit :
> For example the path of the home could be :
>
> /boot/home/login1
> /boot/home/login2

/boot/home might likely become the home for the root account... though
it's not fixed yet.

Personally I would be fine with /boot/home/<username>.

I think /boot/home/<username> would fit in with the rest of the file
system layout better than /boot/users/<username>, although in this
case what would happen to /home ?

Also would baron be retained or would it be replaced by root ?

Cheers
~Richie

/boot/home/ could easily become the home for the root account (keeping BeOS compatability), and there could be settings to make it a "shared" account, so all files in /boot/home/Desktop/ would appear on anyone's desktop, regardless of account (useful for program links, the Be/feather menu etc.)

/boot/users/(username)/home could be used as the account home, like /boot/home is used now.

I'm sure there could be a method in which it would be impossible to physically log in as root on a multiuser system, and only be able to access root's permissions (sudo) when necesary. This would eliminate the possibility of personal files appearing on the desktop of everyone, by accident, if someone happened to run the system logged in a root.

I'm sure there's more that could be added, but that's my 2 cents.