[haiku-development] Re: GCC2 and GCC4 on same System

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 07:12:34 +0200

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 01:06:55 +0200, kamikazow wrote
> Hm... what about placing GCC 2.9x ELF binaries in /boot/beos and GCC
> 4 non-ELF universal binaries in /boot/haiku?

I don't see why we should have universal _binaries_ if all we need are
actually two versions of the libraries. The binary shouldn't really care, the
loader just has to resolve the right symbols from the right libraries. So we'd
rather go with universal _libraries_ here.
I don't know if it is technically possible, but would it be doable to actually
link a library with objects from both GCC2 and GCC4? I mean the C functions
would collide, but they are compatible anyway. The C++ stuff wouldn't collide
and both versions could exist side by side in a single library. The ELF format
shouldn't care and the runtime_loader still just resolves the symbols
necessary, just that they are different for GCC2 and GCC4 apps. Crazy?
Probably it's too early in the morning for me to think...

Regards
Michael