[haiku-development] Re: GCC2 and GCC4 on same System

  • From: "Ryan Leavengood" <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:56:28 -0400

On 8/26/07, Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Conclusion: there is no problem with using GCC2 and GCC4 compiled
> applications on the same system at the same time. You simply have to
> provide the libraries and add-ons for both versions. I have
> successfully tested all the GUI apps, the only thing that obviously
> does not work is using ProcessController, NetworkStatus and PowerStatus
> in replicant mode in the Deskbar, as the GCC2 compiled Deskbar cannot
> load the GCC4 binaries.
>
> Just as a heads up on that topic

Very interesting. I figured it wouldn't be too hard to get that
working. But as Ingo said we would still need to test a lot to make
sure everything works properly. I think for R1 we can minimize the
risk by limiting the GCC4 apps to only those that require it (like my
WebKit port and associated browser.) The rest of the system can be
GCC2. Things like deskbar addons would have to be compiled with GCC2
and we should probably put in checks when dynamically loading to make
sure someone isn't trying to load a GCC4 addon in a GCC2 app.

But this is definitely good news.

Ryan