[haiku-development] Re: Expressing the purpose of a development mailinglist (was: Re: Attaching attributes to BFile)

  • From: "Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 14:42:52

Hi Axel,

Axel Dörfler wrote on Thu, 13 Aug 2009 15:27:26 +0200 CEST
> "Jorge G. Mare (aka Koki)" <koki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Perhaps it would be a wise idea to wait for the new dedicated server
> > be setup, so that the new mailing does not have to be moved when
> > new
> > server is up and running.
>
> I don't think we should move the user lists at all, and just stay
> with
> freelists.org, as they delivered an incredibly stable and smooth
> service over the last years.
> I would only consider moving the commit mailing list for now.

Oh, OK. I was just going by the "Let's become root!" proposal made by
Oliver Tappe here...

//www.freelists.org/post/haiku-development/Lets-become-root-was-Re-Berlios

...where he put out the following ideas (and I quote):

> As a request for comment, these are my current ideas:
>
> - VM1: svn repository server
> - VM2: haiku-os web server (www.haiku-os.org)
> - VM3: trac web server (dev.haiku-os.org)
> - VM4: mail server (including mailing lists)

Since nobody seemed to oppose running mailing lists in any of the follow
up messages, I simply thought that was what you guys were going with.
Anyway, staying with Freelists seems a good choice too; one less service
to worry about. :)

> > In the meantime, where do we direct 3rd party development questions
> > (to what list)? The main Haiku list?
>
> I wouldn't mind to keep them here for now, but YMMV.

Unfortunately, it is hard to reach any conclusions from such vagueness.
If the developers ever reach a consensus on this, then we will change
the website accordingly. In the meantime, we can only keep the (vague)
status quo and you guys can deal with third party development inquiries
on a case by case basis as they come into the various lists.

Cheers,

Jorge/aka Koki