[haiku-development] Re: Expressing the purpose of a development mailinglist (was: Re: Attaching attributes to BFile)

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 13:38:06 -0400

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 10:17 AM, Ingo Weinhold<ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Third party software development related discussions (including questions
> about using the Haiku API) should be held on a separate mailing list --
> bedevtalk/becodetalk, if they still exist, or we could create a new one. In
> its better days bedevtalk was heavy volume, like 100 or more mails a day.
> While I don't expect that kind of traffic anytime soon, I definitely don't
> want to sift through these mails on haiku-development.

I think we can all agree on this, it makes sense. The question is what
we should call the new mailing list. I don't think bedevtalk is good
because history or no we are not Be, we are Haiku. So haiku-dev-talk
is the obvious option but the name can be ambiguous in the same way
that Jonas was saying about "developing for Haiku". Some more
brainstorming:

haiku-code-talk (still slightly ambiguous)
haiku-software-dev (same)
haiku-app-dev (what about drivers?)
haiku-help (inspired by the recent creation of a webkit-help mailing
list, but this could also imply user support)
haiku-dev-help (getting warmer)
haiku-dev-support (sounds a bit corporate)

Well I guess it doesn't matter really what the name is as long as the
purpose of the mailing list is made clear on the web-site and the
freelists list description. But we should pick something and create it
sooner rather than later. The WebKit guys are still having tons of
useless traffic on webkit-dev because they only just recently created
webkit-help.

--
Regards,
Ryan