[haiku-development] Re: Expressing the purpose of a development mailinglist (was: Re: Attaching attributes to BFile)

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:17:18 +0200

On 2009-08-12 at 15:23:45 [+0200], David McPaul <dlmcpaul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2009/8/12 Jonas Sundström <jonas@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Ryan Leavengood <leavengood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I don't know, my understanding was that haiku-development
> >> was for both purposes, and the general haiku mailing list
> >> was for user questions and more generic discussions.
> >
> > I suppose I could be wrong. :)
> >
> > (Tangent:
> > I find it difficult to express the difference between
> > working on Haiku itself and working on independent software
> > meant to run on Haiku, in a few words, without ambiguity.
> >
> > "Working on", "developing for", "developing" all get
> > fuzzed by the fact that "Haiku" in our context can be
> > interpreted as both project, product and platform.
> >
> > E.g. to "develop for Haiku" might be interpreted as
> > "working for the project" - i.e. "develop Haiku"
> > while the intended meaning was using Haiku in the
> > platform sense, independent software development
> > targetting the Haiku platform.)
>
> Yep and haiku needs developers so as long as it's a developer type
> question instead of a user type question we should not concern
> ourselves where they ask it.

-1

To my knowledge haiku-development was created for discussions regarding the
development of Haiku itself, particularly those not fitting any special
purpose "team" mailing list or when a wider developer audience was desired.
The haiku mailing list caters for Haiku project related discussions that
are not development related.

Third party software development related discussions (including questions
about using the Haiku API) should be held on a separate mailing list --
bedevtalk/becodetalk, if they still exist, or we could create a new one. In
its better days bedevtalk was heavy volume, like 100 or more mails a day.
While I don't expect that kind of traffic anytime soon, I definitely don't
want to sift through these mails on haiku-development.

CU, Ingo