[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h (was: Alpha 3 : better late than never)

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 08:11:07 -0400

"I don't think this is really a good idea; software for Haiku should
just work. What we try to solve here is a way to mark broken packages
(or best, automatically detect them) on Haikuware, such that users can
easily see that before downloading them."

Yes, when someone downloads software from Haikuware, it should just work.
I'd be happy to help install any script on Haikuware to help detect systems,
or unzip files correctly, but I think this is the wrong approach. I believe
the problem is that developers are confused by GCC2/4 and there aren't clear
development guidelines and a package building software (for developers), or
IDE.

I think if there were a simple package builder GUI included with Haiku (i.e
Package Builder/Software Valet on BeOS), this could solve a lot of problems.
This software should detect the development system, generate the directory
structure, include all the libraries the binary needs (those not included in
Haiku releases), and package them all into a *.pkg or zip file that the user
just has to click to install. One should try to avoid broken packages by
having defined guidelines and a means/software to produce Haiku compatible
software in the first place.