[haiku-development] Re: r1a3 anyboot image too big for CD

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 10:58:28 -0400

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 08:55, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 May 2011 09:55:42 -0700 Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > The ISO cd images, are still under 700MiB though ... But if a "with
>> > sources"'disc is made, it'll most likely be above 700MiB
>>
>> I think it's time to seriously consider offering the "sources" as a
>> separate CD upon request and/or as a downloadable package.
>>
>> I believe our infrastructure is solid enough that we can ensure these
>> are kept for the obligatory period of time that GPL/LGPL requires.
>
> Agreed.

Sure.

> Furthermore it sets the BFS block size of the image to 1 KB. I only tested
> with a slightly modified gcc 4 only alpha-like image. The block size change
> saves 32.5 MB,

Even though stripping common/bin and common/lib is enough to make
@alpha-anyboot fit in less than 700MB, I tested the 1024 block size
change too.  Sadly, the 1024 block size @alpha-anyboot fails to boot
from CD for me.

Syslog shows numerous lines to the effect of
--
atapi 2-0 error: device indicates transfer error after dma
check_sense: Medium error
atapi 2-0 error: device indicates transfer error after dma
check_sense: Medium error
scsi_cd: ioctl(op = 15)
atapi 2-0 error: device indicates transfer error after dma
check_sense: Medium error
scsi_cd: ioctl(op = 15)
atapi 2-0 error: device indicates transfer error after dma
check_sense: Medium error
scsi_cd: ioctl(op = 15)
atapi 2-0 error: device indicates transfer error after dma
check_sense: Medium error
IOCache: falling back to uncached transfer, offset 712864768, length 8192
scsi_cd: ioctl(op = 15)
--

This is an IDE  DVD-RW drive and looks similar to
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/4502

--mmadia