[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h (was: Alpha 3 : better late than never)

  • From: Nickos V <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 12:40:30 -0600

 > Le 29/05/2011 18:40, Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> > Jim Saxton<black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >> If haiku can do a simple fix that will make these lazy devs
> > Yes, the simple fix is to stop building gcc4 nightlies. If it helps to
> > make Haikuware more useful, I think that would be more important than
> > the additional testing it gets.

I am not sure why gcc4 is such a big issue.
gcc4 programs and games should still work on gcc2hybrid.
In the past, there was no hybrid OpenGL Renderer so gcc4 games required gcc4
release.  That is now fixed.  Libraries like SDL are gcc4 compiled and can be
used on gcc2hybrid also.
Why use gcc4 for games/programs?Easier, quicker and sometimes little and
sometimes lots less work to port stuff.
Most programs are now made for gcc4 or gcc3.  Sometimes easy to get them
working on gcc2 (especially if C code) and other times way too hard.  ie, Qt,
Gnash (boost libraries), etc.
Issues:1) Installing gcc4 libraries to proper folders.  Simple fix, put up a
BASH script on Haikuware to check Haiku version and unzip the files to the
right directory rather than assume gcc4hybrid and unzipping gcc4 libs to
/boot/common/lib2) Changes to gcc4 API can break programs requiring updating
and recompiling.  This happened sometime in last couple of months I believe
breaking some gcc4 programs from working on Haiku.  This is the price to pay
for using gcc4. ie, no way to avoid and up to the porter to update his gcc4
applications
gcc2 & gcc4 images are available to everyone and they can choose which to use
but must understand that gcc2 is official release and gcc4 is unofficial and
mostly for testing!
Later,