[haiku-development] Re: Enforcing gcc2h (was: Alpha 3 : better late than never)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 21:09:31 +0200

Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le 29/05/2011 18:40, Axel Dörfler a écrit :
> > Jim Saxton<black.belt.jimmy@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
> >> If haiku can do a simple fix that will make these lazy devs
> > Yes, the simple fix is to stop building gcc4 nightlies. If it helps
> > make Haikuware more useful, I think that would be more important
> > than
> > the additional testing it gets.
> They are still useful for testing (finding compiler-dependant bugs,
> for
> example), and they'll be built by BOM anyway.

Which I didn't question, but...

> Instead of removing them, maybe wecan start by :
>   * not naming them haiku-something, but walter-something, or
> anything
> else. walter has the nice side effect of moving them to the bottom of
> the list on the page.
>   * Moving them in a separate place at haiku-files (like
> haiku-files.org/gcc4) with a big red warning on the page (something
> like
> "What you're about to download here is highly experimental and
> unsupported software, it may not be compatible with BeOS nor Haiku").

... I think this would probably be good enough.

> It may also be time to actually start using the nice haiku-compatible
> logo. I made a short draft on howwe might want to use it :
> https://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/Haiku%20Compatible%20Logo . Feel free
> comment or improve. This will help making actuall haiku software
> stand
> out in the mess of gcc4 stuff.

I don't think this is really a good idea; software for Haiku should
just work. What we try to solve here is a way to mark broken packages
(or best, automatically detect them) on Haikuware, such that users can
easily see that before downloading them.

If we would release a bit more often (or had a better base to work
with), I guess it would be quite simple to only allow software on
Haikuware that actually runs on an official version of Haiku (even if
only by policy).

Bye,
   Axel.