[haiku-development] Re: Busted!

  • From: Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 09:02:53 +1000

Mizsei Zoltán wrote:
Hello!

But if you want to actually help by reporting bugs or hardware issues you have to have an easier way to update.

I use Haiku long time ago on real iron, i write the image to flash drive, boot
from it, and owervrite the old Haiku install wit the new files.
(I have lot of problems with this way, i frequently got KDL (time out problem)
if i boot from Flash, i hate this. (An workaround is if i pressing frequently
the keys on my keyboard at boot, and under the copy process... Pressing VERY
frequently.)

In Haiku i can download the image, and mount, but i can't update Haiku in
Haiku, because if it try to replace the kernel, i get KDL. I don't like it.
Is there any way to fix this? Maybe with a swadow copy about the kernel?
(Starting the Haiku, automatically copy the kernel to kernel_x86_shadow (maybe
can be hidden), and You can freely overwrite the original, and at the next boot
You got the new kernel.

You need to burn the image to CD-RW and install from that. This only works up to r30782 and is being fixed.

Rob