[haiku-development] Re: Busted!

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 13:50:40 +0200

Rob Judd schrieb:
Urias McCullough wrote:
On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 6:10 PM, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just reloaded r30782 (which is the last RELIABLE build) and the problem
disappeared.

You have a different definition of "broke the build" than I'm familiar
with... this usually represents a situation where the act of
compilation fails.
The build process includes testing that the result works as expected, and that pathological code isn't included. I hear you, there are two ways of looking at it, but the mechanical act of getting something to compile is kiddyland.

This asserts that the build is "broken" everywhere. You are in kiddyland if the message does not get through to you that the build is *not* broken everywhere. I tested to make sure. I installed a clean image of r30806 directly to a partition and it booted and worked just fine. This ruins your assertion that the build is broken in such a way that whoever commited broken code only made sure it compiled without actually running it. Can you please acknowledge that and stop being such an arrogant PITA?

So, by indicating that 30782 was the last working build, you're saying
that 30783 was the busted revision? This was a change to the nvidia
driver... I don't have any nvidia-based haiku test boxes these days,
so maybe someone else can confirm this?
No, I obviously haven't tested every build between r30782 and r30805. I did, however, report that the last build I attempted, at r30890, failed to install from CD. Since then I have changed to building on Haiku (vs Dano previously) on a completely different machine, so I have internal confirmation / double-checking.

I'll do some testing and see what comes out of that, but it sure is eating into my productive programming time. Right now I'm spending 50% of my available time keeping the O/S running and/or rebooting and cleaning up damaged files and/or reinstalling to new partitions when it all becomes unusable. It's fairly unstable.

Which brings me to my second point. Everyone feels sorry that Haiku runs so badly on your machine. But even you said yourself that Haiku runs better on one of your two computers. So please get it into your head that Haiku runs better or worse depending on the hardware in question. This is very easy to grasp, since there are for example different drivers involved. So once you acknowledge this much, maybe you can accept the fact that Haiku may run very well on some people's hardware. With great chance it runs very well on the hardware of the core developers. Incidentally those same individuals capable of fixing hard to track down bugs. The obvious conclusion is that no one is a moron or incapable developer just because Haiku runs bad on your particular hardware. Can you please agree to that and skip the respective remarks in the future?

Best regards,
-Stephan