[haiku-development] Re: Busted!

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 10:44:27 +0200

On 2009-05-24 at 00:11:27 [+0200], Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ryan Leavengood wrote:
> > How often are you updating your Haiku build? It appears that clearly it
> > is too often. If you are developing something outside of core Haiku,
> > and do not need the latest and greatest code DO NOT UPDATE SO OFTEN. It
> > seems obvious to me. Heck I avoid updating often just so I don't have
> > to constantly rebuild large parts of Haiku when headers change or
> > whatever.
> >
> > If I were you I would get a stable build going, develop my code, get
> > that working, then update to the latest Haiku to make sure the code
> > still works. Unless it takes months, then I might update every two
> > weeks or so.
>
> And therein lies the problem. As yet I haven't been able to get a stable
> build, there are always major issues. I'm updating daily in the vague
> hope that it happens.
>
> Developing code on a computer that crashes four times an hour and
> corrupts its own file system isn't very viable.

My experience is totally different, I do witness crashes or lock ups in
some important kernel threads, but it's probably more in the range of once
per two weeks or so. Usually, I can work all day without an issue. If it's
that bad for you, the most beneficial for Haiku as a project would be if
you tried debugging at least the crashes you are getting. If you rather
keep working on your other Haiku projects, maybe it would save you some
grief to switch to Linux as a host platform for the time being. Although
when you develop a driver, it may be inconvenient, because then you
probably can't use a virtual machine for testing. :-\ In that case, maybe a
setup with two computers could work, where you keep your code and do your
coding on a Linux machine, and keep a second machine running with Haiku and
transfer your test binaries via network all the time. If you want to test
complete images, maybe network booting the second machine may be an option
for "ok" turn-around times.

Best regards,
-Stephan