[haiku-development] Re: Busted!

  • From: Fredrik Modèen <fredrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 18:46:59 +0200 (CEST)

> Hello!
>
>> But if you want to actually help by reporting bugs or hardware issues
>> you have to have an easier way to update.
>
> I use Haiku long time ago on real iron, i write the image to flash drive,
> boot from it, and owervrite the old Haiku install wit the new files.
> (I have lot of problems with this way, i frequently got KDL (time out
> problem) if i boot from Flash, i hate this. (An workaround is if i
> pressing frequently the keys on my keyboard at boot, and under the copy
> process... Pressing VERY frequently.)
>
> In Haiku i can download the image, and mount, but i can't update Haiku in
> Haiku, because if it try to replace the kernel, i get KDL. I don't like
> it.
> Is there any way to fix this? Maybe with a swadow copy about the kernel?
> (Starting the Haiku, automatically copy the kernel to kernel_x86_shadow
> (maybe can be hidden), and You can freely overwrite the original, and at
> the next boot You got the new kernel.

Have you tested the Installer? I'm using that one for updating my Haiku
installation. If it works as the one on BeOS then it will copy all that
exist on that partition included all aplication you hace copied and/or
installed.

To access it now write Installer in the terminal window.

--
MVH
Fredrik Modèen