[haiku-development] Re: About $application

  • From: Humdinger <humdinger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 07:48:49 +0200

Curtis Wanner schrieb:
> If done
> right, an About Window for an application should tell you what the program
> is and what capabilities it has and doesn't have.  For example, a paint
> program would tell you what editing features it has and what formats it can
> save in.

This information could become quite extensive... The help/tutorial files would be the right place for that IMO. Links to these things shouldn't be in the About window, but deserve their own menu entry.

Sorry, I'm really not trying to be a Cooper "ditto-head", but I believe he
has a solid point on this issue.  Do you really think current About Windows
offer users valuable information about the program itself??

I see your point. There are three things why I have looked into the "About..." of a program before: The version/date of an app to see if I'm still up to date, the URL of the project/vendor and contact information. I'm not sure about a "Check for updates"-Button beside the version number, but I'm all for a clickable link of the URL to open the browser or the mail app with the contact address (and optionally an app-provided subject line).

Since the About window is a place for coders of an open source project to get public recognition, I don't think that part should be stripped. The copyright thing may be a legal issue, IANAL. In any way, it's an easy way to see who's the vendor.

Humdinger