[haiku-development] Re: About $application

  • From: "Curtis Wanner" <katisu@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 11:32:51 -0400

Jonas Sundström wrote:
>Do you think a short explanatory blurb in the About window would be
>enough, as a compromise, if combined with a [Documentation...] button?

IMHO I would tend to say yes to the explanatory blurb.
If it is enough to quickly give the user a sense of the application's
capabilities, saving them time from having to sort through the documentation
and/or playing around with the application to see if it will do a particular
task (i.e. view bmp, play mp3, resize a picture)
Of course this would depend how well the blurb is written.

Not to say the [Documentation...] button is a bad idea, I just wonder if it
is proper.  The user should go to the help system for help.  Creating a
usage habit of opening the about window and then clicking the Documentation
button seems inefficient.  Of course, I'm assuming the help system
(documentation browser?) would be accessible under its own menu entry.

I must note though that Cooper states about pointing to other sources of
information to help the user to get his bearings.  Doesn't necessarily state
this being a button though.

IMHO the [Documentation...] button should be optional.

For the record, Cooper states the programmers names should be in the About
Window (not the Identity Window).  So that contradicts an earlier statement
on my part.

>The BAbout(Window) class would take care of the details of

FYI. I just remembered this class (it is geared to drivers though).
/haiku/trunk/src/add-ons/print/drivers/shared/libprint/AboutBox.cpp

Anyway, I'm definitely feeling like I'm painting the bike shed at this
point.  Hopefully you got enough to form your own ideas and implement it
however you want.

Curtis