[haiku-appserver] Re: Focus

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 21:48:12 +0100

Hi,

> Add it as an option in one of the preference applets maybe?  Start with the
> new model as the default and then have a 'Use legacy BeOS focus handling'
> checkbox...

Obviously, there can only be one window with keyboard focus. For it to be
possible to have two blinking cursors in two different windows, be they
floating windows or not, only means Be screwed something up. The simple fix
is for BWindow::IsActive() to mean "has keyboard focus". That's what I want
to know as a developer from IsActive(). I do *not* want to know "is the tab
highlighted". Since Axel has shown that two text controls with keyboard focus
is possible on R5, and since it is clearly a bug, I would not even think
about offering a "legacy" behaviour in some preflet. Simply not copy the bug
and be done with it.
I know you have the fear of breaking existing apps. In this particular case,
I think the work arround in the app (if there is even one app out there that
tried to work arround this problem...), is probably only wasted CPU cycles
after the fix. But no change for the end user I would guess.

Best regards,
-Stephan