[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: [BeZillaBrowser] Integrating Firefox native add-ons

  • From: Rahul Krishnan <pprahul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:25:35 +0530

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 5:33 PM, Fredrik Holmqvist <
fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 2010/2/15, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>:
> > I am not sure if all BeZillaBrowser maintainers are reading this list,
> >  Fredrik Holmqvis (tqh) for example. Hopefully everyone is here.
>
> I do read it, but havn't had time to answer yet.
>
> What Rahul is trying to fix isn't really a bug, it's how Firefox is
> intended to look like according to specs. I know I investigated it a
> lot back in the days to make sure we give the right flags for windows.
> Some OS'es do handle those flags different than their definition
> though.
> Good thing is that if we want to change it it's a platform specific
> XUL that is needed, which Rahul was working on.

That's right. And those were really easy things to start off with.
Now, I want to work on something that is a bit more challenging.

> I'm not really sure I'd call myself a maintainer anymore, and I
> personally think that more focus on WebKit would be best. If someone
> wants to work on a newer Firefox I'd suggest the following:
> * Start working on it with our QT port (cairo using QT)
> * Fix it to build and run (NSPR, bustages, XPCOM, widget, sqllite,
> gcc4, old patches, fonthandling and so on)
> * Sharpen your elbows and try to get things commited
> * Get Cairo for Haiku working properly and port Firefox over.

I do get a feeling that working on WebKit is the best option
and I've already started to explore and work on it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
Rahul Krishnan

--