[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: [BeZillaBrowser] Integrating Firefox native add-ons

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:16:18 +0100

Hi,

On 2010-02-15 at 14:14:43 [+0100], Rahul Krishnan <pprahul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My interest is "to get a modern browser working on Haiku", which will
> support add-ons
> and additional features that are already present in other projects.
> So, WebKit also becomes a natural option for me. :)

That's great to hear!

> Thank you for that really detailed discussion.
>
> Since I have decided to spent my time on helping to get a working browser in
> Haiku, I am excited to work on WebKit for Haiku.
>
> I had read the article by Maxime on "How to work on WebKit", and am
> currently trying it out.

Ok, Ryan is not happy about this at all, but what happened is that Michael
Lotz has setup an SVN repository on his (dyndns) server for the time being,
since we needed to start collaborating and sending patches around didn't work
for us anymore. Although the repository on gitorious exists, a number of us
were having problems with git on Haiku, partly due to Haiku, perhaps partly
due to the port, and also because of a somewhat steep learning curve with
git. When I had a current checkout of the gitorious repo, and my changes in
there, I couldn't commit them back to gitorious, even though I had gained
write access. Git insisted I had no write permissions, although I had setup
my SSH keys and all... The next thing that happened was that the gitorious
repo was updated with a broken WebKit version, and I finally gave up and
switched to using the main WebKit trunk directly. Then of course I had this
monster patch which started to become a pain to manage and pass to the
others. Michael wanted to start working on this, so to cut a long story
short, we ended up setting up this "private" SVN repo for the meantime, and
have also requested a project on OSDrawer, which should make this all more
"official".

For the time being, it will be the easiest for you, if you work directly with
our repository:

svn checkout svn://mmlr.dyndns.org/webkit/trunk WebKit

This repo doesn't include the LayoutTests and some other stuff, so it's much
smaller than a regular WebKit checkout. There is a HowToBuild text in the
top-level folder, so that should get you a successful build going quickly.

> Could you suggest few pointers, wherein I could start off with the project
> right away so that I could get a feel of it ?

Sure, I'm working to implement a basic browsing history at the moment.
Getting the clipboard stuff to work and keyboard short cuts would be some of
the most urgently needed things. If you come into #haiku-dev on IRC, we
usually hang out there while we are working on WebKit, so that we can
coordinate our efforts. I can give you an introduction to the source tree
there, if you want.

Best regards,
-Stephan