[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: [BeZillaBrowser] Integrating Firefox native add-ons

  • From: Rahul Krishnan <pprahul@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:44:43 +0530

Hi Stephan,

Thanks for this detailed reply.

On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM, Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2010-02-15 at 12:30:06 [+0100], Rahul Krishnan <pprahul@xxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I think that getting the firefox native add-ons to work on BeZillaBrowser
> > would be a great enhancement.
> >
> > I would like to know, if there is anyone working to get the firefox
> native
> > add-ons to work on BeZillaBrowser. (Any projects related to this ? )
> > If so, I would like to join them to speed up the integration.
> >
> > If not, I am asking for suggestions from the group, if an idea to
> integrate
> > the native add-ons with BeZillaBrowser is a good one
> > considering the priority as well as the usefulness ?
> >
> > Also, could you suggest someone who could mentor me (and any group who
> are
> > interested to do this task) ?
> >
> > I've already contributed to few simple patches in BeZillaBrowser and I am
> > really excited to work on this Haiku project.
>
> I am not sure if all BeZillaBrowser maintainers are reading this list,
> Fredrik Holmqvis (tqh) for example. Hopefully everyone is here.
>
> In any case, is your interest specifically with the BeZillaBrowser, or is
> your interest more general in getting a modern browser working in Haiku? I
> am asking because a few others and myself have recently picked up work on
> the WebKit porting project, that Ryan Leavengood started and Maxime Simone
> continued.

My interest is "to get a modern browser working on Haiku", which will
support add-ons
and additional features that are already present in other projects.
So, WebKit also becomes a natural option for me. :)

> It's certainly a difficult decision what project to spend time on. Fixing
> the most annoying bugs in the FireFox 2 port will of course gain the
> fastest
> results. On the other hand, getting an up to date port of Firefox going is
> completely different matter.
>

> After researching the options a bit (I've spent time on porting Cairo and
> looking into the NetSurf browser first), I came to the conclusion that
> WebKit is the best longterm strategy, since it allows for a completely
> native application and the project welcomes platform ports. Since then I've
> invested a lot of time into the WebKit port and was able to make some
> decent
> progress. Recently, I've been joined by Michael Lotz, who was also able to
> bring the port forward a great deal. Philippe Houdoin wants to help as well
> and Ryan and Maxime help out with insights from their previous porting
> efforts. Ryan is still interested in working on the port and browser,
> although both he and Maxime have expressed to have very little time at the
> moment. In any case this project is currently picking up speed and the
> native browser is already pretty usable. Of course it will take more time
> get it to the level of functionality found in Firefox and other WebKit
> browsers, and you never know how much time each team member is able to
> spend. But I wanted you to know that this is happening right now, in case
> you thought Firefox was the only Haiku browser option. ;-)

Thank you for that really detailed discussion.

Since I have decided to spent my time on helping to get a working browser in
Haiku,
I am excited to work on WebKit for Haiku.

I had read the article by Maxime on "How to work on WebKit", and am
currently trying it out.

Could you suggest few pointers, wherein I could start off with the project
right away so that I could
get a feel of it ?

Cheers !
-pprahul