[hackpgh-discuss] Re: RFID Project Box

  • From: Doug Philips <doug@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 10:53:58 -0400

On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM, ssimonisme@xxxxxxx <ssimonisme@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Did we ever get one?  Should I do so now?  If so, would a 6"×6"×4" junction
> box work?

My recollection is that we never had a project box lined up for the
arduino part of things, though Matt or other members might remember
differently.
I think we have enough resources in the shop to re-use or make one, so
I don't think a new purchase is called for, if that's what you're
asking?
IIRC form the last discussion I heard, it was suggested that we
could/might use a DB-<mumble mumble> for the power, RFID connection,
and door latch connection, which will give us a keyed
connect/disconnect when we need to pull the unit off temporarily to
reprogram/update it; the enclosure will also need to allow access to
the USB port.

Scope creep has kept this project unfinished for years, literally, so
a working project box trumps pie-in-the-sky. If somehow we really
can't make/repurpose one from the shop, we should buy one; at the
moment, I'm skeptical that 'buy one' is the right option. :-)

-=D