[hackpgh-discuss] Re: RFID Project Box

  • From: Matthew Beckler <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 11:05:53 -0400

I have an unused black plastic project box that's probably 3 x 6 x 6 inches, with a nice screw-down lid of the same black plastic material, that I will bring with me next time I'm at the shop. It might work well for the enclosure, and I have no need for it.

I guess that a DB-9 port (like a standard serial port on an old motherbaord) would be good. As you say, it's solid and keyed, and has the benefit of being able to screw the cable into the socket, so that would be a very sturdy connection I think.

-Matthew

On 06/01/2012 10:53 AM, Doug Philips wrote:
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 1:27 PM, ssimonisme@xxxxxxx<ssimonisme@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
Did we ever get one?  Should I do so now?  If so, would a 6"×6"×4" junction box
work?

My recollection is that we never had a project box lined up for the
arduino part of things, though Matt or other members might remember
differently.
I think we have enough resources in the shop to re-use or make one, so
I don't think a new purchase is called for, if that's what you're
asking?
IIRC form the last discussion I heard, it was suggested that we
could/might use a DB-<mumble mumble>  for the power, RFID connection,
and door latch connection, which will give us a keyed
connect/disconnect when we need to pull the unit off temporarily to
reprogram/update it; the enclosure will also need to allow access to
the USB port.

Scope creep has kept this project unfinished for years, literally, so
a working project box trumps pie-in-the-sky. If somehow we really
can't make/repurpose one from the shop, we should buy one; at the
moment, I'm skeptical that 'buy one' is the right option. :-)

-=D