[gps-talkusers] Re: THe earthmate:

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:28:59 -0400

If you are in north America, and your receiver is WAAS capable, and your
receiver has had a fix for 5 minutes or longer, then you should be able
to assume you've got 3 meter accuracy.  It won't always be the case, but
there's a way for the GPS to tell you how likely it is that you do have
3 meter accuracy at the moment (it's called the HDOP, or horizontal
dilution of position).  I don't know if the Sendaro product uses this
number when their software gives you an estimate of your fix quality,
but if they do then you would have a way at least of knowing how much to
trust your unit at that moment.  This number is kind of like a
measurement of uncertainty as to the position report being given.

Chip

=20

I=3D3D20=3D20
> >  wouldn't=3D20
> > >buy anything other than what Sendaro recommended=3D3D20 =20
> without a very
>=20
> > >=3D
>=20
> > >strong reason; and I would do it with the=3D3D20  =
understanding=3D20