[gps-talkusers] Re: THe earthmate:

  • From: "Don Bishop" <donbishop49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 21:47:22 -0700

Les,

I appreciate your observations and this sounds pretty much in line with what
Mike said in his earlier post regarding the greater sensitivity of placement of
the
earhtmate antenna.

I've noticed similar sensitivity behavior with the cell phones that have the
antenna internally mounted.

If you have a good strong and reliable signal they're fine, but they do suffer
when the signals are weak.

But, it's back to that old story of the tradeoffs.

Appreciate your comments.

Don

On Sun, 6 Jun 2004 00:01:18 -0400, Les Kriegler wrote:

Hi Don,

I'm late on this thread for reasons you know.  My experience with the
EarthMate on signal acquisition is good when I'm walking.  On buses
where I use it daily, it seems to take longer than the Sportrak does to
acquire a signal.  Mike told me that it is more sensitive, and I suspect
this is a factor.  Besides this fact, if there is tint in the window of
the bus, this can adversely affect things.  After Mike told me this, I
inquired the driver on this matter.  He stated that there was some tint,
not much, some buses have more tint where I currently reside.  So who
really knows?  I do like the fact that the receiver is small; I leave
everything connected and just turn the receiver on when I'm ready to use
it.  The Sportrak is larger, and I was fearful of either stepping on it,
or someone else doing so.
Best Regards,

Les