[gps-talkusers] Re: THe earthmate:

  • From: "Chip Orange" <Corange@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 17:00:32 -0400

Mike will have to answer that one; my guess is that they are giving some
special initialization command to the SportTrack that they don't give to
any other model.

While the BN may work with any GPS receiver, Sendaro would be taking on
a lot of extra support issues if they made that claim.  The earthMate is
particularly easy for a blind person to deal with, but I bet there are
models out there which aren't.

If I were buying a receiver to go with the BN product, I wouldn't buy
anything other than what Sendaro recommended without a very strong
reason; and I would do it with the understanding that I may run into
issues that are difficult to deal with. =20

That being said, maybe you've got a good enough reason so that armed
with the knowledge that all GPS receivers output the same data, you'd be
willing to try one for some special reason.  For instance, you may want
to share one with a sighted spouse, so the spouse picks it out for its
nice color display and maps or some other reason.

Hth,

Chip

=20