[gps-talkusers] Re: My gps experience this morning:

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 22:10:58 -0700

The Earthmate is a combined receiver and antenna. The Trekker has its
receiver built into its module and the antenna is the separate unit on the
shoulder. I'll leave it to Visuaide to mention the manufacturer if they wish.

>Visuaide doesn't come out and really say what kind of receiver is used in
>the trekker. I have one and really like it because it tells you where the
>streets are in the intersection you are coming up to.
>as far as accuracy I have been really wowed by it. You have to consider,
>however, the variables such as the time of day, whether you are in a more
>urban area or in a car.
>I primarily use the Braille Note gps so have not had the experience of
>using the trekker in a car. I have also not taken either of them into our
>downtown because like so many other American Cities our downtown has
>become a ghost town
>I have found with the trekker that it tells you points of interest just as
>you are coming up to them.
>If you want a comparison, the delorme is closest in resemblance to the
>Trekker antena and closest in accuracy too.
>I think that is why I am taking such a shine to the delorme and I wouldn't
>be a bit surprised if the trekker's receiver were not something identical
>to the delorme.

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Developers and distributors of BrailleNote GPS
Now distributing BrailleNote, VoiceNote, Miniguide, The Tissot Silen-T
tactile watch and the ID Mate, bar code reader

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

(530) 757-6800, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
1118 Maple Lane, Davis, CA 95616-1723, USA

Latitude, 38 33 9.239 North
Longitude, 121 45 40.145 West