[gps-talkusers] My gps experience this morning:

  • From: Mary Ellen Earls <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:35:28 -0400

Hi folks!
Just want to share something which happened this morning on my daily dog walk.
I decided to take my old friend,the Magellan 310 out and it came up
immediately, which is a lot more than could have been said for the garmin.
Ok the magellan did beautifully until about 2/3 way through the walk when we
simply lost a signal. No receiver problems at all, it clicked or made that
popping sound it does when trying to obtain a signal. This continued for about
600 feet. Then I realized I had better go into the gps options to see if this
thing was set on Magellan instead of Garmin. Well, I found that it was set on
Magellan by some strange mystical means and so went back into the start gps and
bang we hadpoor, 3 satellites and never looked back.
I travel this area every day so can not figure this out.
The only other time I had ever had such a thing happen was when I used the
original gps-talk system on the laptop 3 years ago and that could be as flakey
as a pie crust.
Well so much for that experience. Interestingly my total journey was 2.02 miles.
Oh does anyone know how to translate 600 feet in to tenths of a mile?
Thanks in advance.
Mary Ellen Earls
Ps. Don't throw any complicated formulas at me, please because I have enough
trouble adding 2+2 and coming up with the right answer with a calculator.
Thanks again.
Mary Ellen Earls