[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 11:07:18 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Berry" <mberry@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2003 9:27 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

> If we allow both, we are just pushing the issue to the plugin writers
> to support both, since various hosts are going to (most likely) load one
> or the other, or at least performance is going to take a hit if the
> plugin is mismatched. This also means that plugins have to support
> multitudinous multichannel orderings. As a host writer, this doesn't
> bother me too much since we would probably simply not load plugins that
> don't take uninterleaved buffers. How do the plugin writers feel about
this?

yes, we have to select one only , Multiplexed or not.
Personnally and (by experience) i prefer the non-multiplexed audio. One of
the most advantage of the non-interleaving audio is the possibility to route
the signal by a simple pointer move or switch.

About SIMD optimization, i don't think that (re-)interleaving 2 or 4 samples
is a
big deal. The programmer will have already organized the parameters for SIMD
operation, the same for the internal memory of the algorithm... So just
inerleaving input and de-interleaving output is finally a very small
operation.

The real interesting point for optimization should be to fixe a minimum
buffersize granularity (e.g. 4 , 8 , 16 , 32 ... samples)  and all the
buffers sent to the processing function would be multiple of this minimum
granularity.
This property would be very usefull for a big amount of optimizations of any
kind...

Vincent Burel