[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Chris Grigg <gmpi-public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 11:05:21 -0700

Bill said:

Tim said:
They don't have to come in on the first four, they should come in on
whatever is correct.  All the streams originate somewhere.  The originating

That was the source of my misunderstanding. I was assuming a model where a single pin can transport multi-channel audio, and if you have N channels, they should be in the first N logical locations (whether interleaved or not). And I do prefer this model rather than having each pin be a mono stream.

Using hints to auto-connect unknown formats is clever, but I prefer enumerating all supported formats. Manufacturer specific formats can be published and identified by a manufacturer ID of some sort.

Hints could possibly be offered in addition to the enumerated formats to provide legacy plugs a way to connect to newly defined formats?

I have a concern about how the formats are enumerated. We need to be clear to differentiate the physical format from the logical one. For example, various 2-channel formats are listed below:

stereo
Lt,Rt (from various encoders)
M/S
binaural
loudspeaker binaural

But these should all be able to connect to say, a stereo limiter. Physically, these are all 2-channel PCM streams. The additional logical information is important in cases like distinguishing quad from L, R, C, S, or determining the channel organization in 5.1 or other surround formats.

Bill

If there is enumeration of multichannel formats with an unambiguous definition for each format, then for many out/in format combinations hosts will be able to furnish, perhaps automatically/invisibly to the user, provably 'correct' adaptation services (i.e. M-S->stereo; LtRt->Dolby Stereo stems; Dolby Stereo stems->5.1; etc.). For the cases that doesn't cover, or hosts that don't do that, plug vendors can always provide simple adaptor plugs, perhaps user-configurable in the oddball cases, for absolutely any out/in format combination.

Also a question for Tim: For a given multichannel format, can you explain what the advantage of allowing a plug to order the channel buffers in any way it likes is? I'm not saying there isn't any, just that it's not intuitively obvious to me what it would be. So I'm asking.

-- Chris