[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 09:52:35 +0100

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 06:20:48 -0700, Tim Hockin wrote:
> Where does it impose the conditional?  Connection-time is better than
> per-buffer.  Init-time is better than connection-time.  I don't have a
> problem with capabilities flags, so long as they don't need to be evaluated
> every timeslice.  We need a solid and well documented set of assumptions.

Capabilities are a point of complexity and therefore evil ;)

There is the possibility that they will be set incorrectly (cut and paste
error, whatever) and that the error might not be detected runing under the
test host. This casues bizarre/non optimal behaviour and it tricky to
catch.

If we can get equivalent functionality without using them then its better,
and we can.