[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: Steve Harris <S.W.Harris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:19:27 +0100

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 08:40:51 -0400, RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Are you calling me a liar?

Vincent said that your test situation didn't match realworld conditions,
which is not the same thing. I suspect this is just down to recording
styles.  The studio environments I've seen dont include swathes of
silence, however if you are pasting together tracks from prerecorded
sections into an empty project and/or using mute automation then I guess
you would.

OTOH this discussion is getting needlessly heated.

> In this test case, running under VTune, I saw performance "hotspots" in the
> zero fill code.  In other words, we were zerofilling excessively, and it was
> showing up in the CPU overhead.

I think you should expand on this point somewhat, because if you weren't
using silence detection then you wouldn't need to do any zero filling.

> An IsZero optimization will not give the kinds of gains as in your example.
> But it will give some gains, and it is optional, and since this discussion
> is about *requirements*, my stake in the ground is, "I require this."

Fair enough. My requirement is that my plugins should be able to ingore it
completely and get on with thier job. Hosts should probably be mandated to
support it to prevent too many corner cases in testing.

Personally I would never use this stuff in a non-trivial insert processing
plugin, its just too hard to get right and testing would be painful. I
would consider it at the outpout stage of a softsynth.