[gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

  • From: "Vincent Burel" <vincent.burel@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 11:29:08 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim Hockin" <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, June 02, 2003 11:58 PM
Subject: [gmpi] Re: Topic 7: Audio packaging

> > REAL saving !? :-) with P4 3Ghz , 533 MgHz bus clock , your are talking
>
> I don't care how fast CPUs isn't a reason to waste it.  Do you work at
> Microsoft, Vincent, you seem to espouse their beliefs that 'CPU power will
> get fast enough, so don't worry about being clever'.

i'm just trying to evaluate the consequences on the production , reliability
and developpement cost, of excellent ideas produced by best professional of
the software developpement in the world :-).

> > fact you don't reply to my technical questions related to the
consequences
> > of the "IsZero" idea is absolutely not reassuring. not only for me but
also
> > for host manufacturers.
>
> What technical questions?

ha yes , you need i repeat it several time , ok i repeat :
how the effect can set the IsZero Flag according the diversity and
complexity of different algorithm.

> How can you have a technical question - we're
> discussing CONCEPTS.

As i me , and i say that your concept is a problem , because it causes
different technical problem and increase the developpement cost and time,
and is a source of further mystake and potential bug, and is useless ,
because it is adapted to a specific audio task only : the non real time
audio montage.

>  Ask your questions in a way that suggests you are open
> to an answer you don't already know, and we'll all be willing to explain
> outr ideas.  But when you berate and belittle people for ideas you
disagree
> with, you piss people off and make yourself look like an ass.  Again.

i am an ass. ! :-)  hope this problem is solve now and we can discussed
without ass parasite and pissing off details !

> > Generally speaking, a feature which maybe implemented or not implemented
is
> > a potential marketing and communication problem. For example, How to
explain
> > to a guy who work with track made of 50 clip of 500ms , and insert a
reverb
> > on each that the CPU does not support it with a large reverb hall preset
but
> > might works with a tiny plate preset ?
>
> So don't implement it. Or make it an option.  Or tell the user that he
needs
> a 'P4 3Ghz , 533 MgHz bus clock' system, because hey, hardware is free and
> just gets faster.  Your example is stupid.

It's an example where the IsZero is implemented but produce strange effect
that the client could complain about.
the fact you feel it stupid, just show me that you have no client or that
you are not in contact with your client.

Vincent Burel